Wednesday, November 15, 2023

DC Midsouth Life: Oak Court Mall Doors are a Barrier

People with Disabilities can be left out in the rain.

By Allison Donald, Leah Williamson, and Christina Clift.

A day of shopping can be tiring and fun. If you are like me, finding a good bargain or the perfect pair of shoes brings you a thrill. On the other hand, long lines and crowded stores, a limited selection, or sky-high prices can turn a fun day into a frustrating outing.


For people with disabilities shopping has another challenge and it is access. Whether it is physical access to get in and out of the store, inaccessible fitting rooms, or no accessible parking, it can also be a lack of sighted assistance or poor lighting for someone who is blind.

 

Allison attempting to open exterior doors

Recently some friends and I went to the Oak Court mall for a bit of shopping. As we were walking up to go inside the mall the first door was propped open.  However, as you approach the second set of doors you have to pull them. It is extremely difficult because of the weight of the door. 


The doors are nearly impossible to open if you are a wheelchair user. I did not feel like struggling with the door. I looked to the right and there was an accessible entrance. I really wasn't sure, because there is no clear signage. The only reason I was able to identify the button was because of the silver panel that is on most accessible entrance buttons.  


Honestly, I felt relieved because all I wanted to do was take the easiest path to get into the mall. As I was walking over to the button, my friend began to push it and nothing happened.


We were all standing at the entrance of the mall in rain soaked clothes looking at each other in disbelief. At this point we are both ready to call it a day. 


My friend says, "I'm going to push it one more time." On the fifth try the door opened and we were able to go into the mall. I like shopping just as much as the next person but this is such a hindrance and it takes away the enjoyment of just getting out and about without barriers.

 

I am positive that the doors at the Oak Court Mall are not the only ones like this around the city. We at Disability Connection Midsouth are continuing to work and identify barriers that prevent Memphians living with a disability from living, working, and playing in this city just like our non disabled counterparts. If you are out in the streets and you see a barrier or you are not sure if it's a barrier feel free to contact us at 901-726-6404 or www.disabilitymidsouth.org



No comments:

Post a Comment