Thursday, August 10, 2023

MATAplus Recertification

What the MATAplus Assessment Center Experience is Like


Allison Donald 


It had been two years since I rode MATAplus and three years since I had been recertified for the paratransit service. It's that time again! As you can probably guess I am overjoyed by the thought.  


I called the number located in the highlighted box of the upper right corner of the application after it was complete.  The administrative assistant worked with me and scheduled an in person appointment for August 8th.  I also inquired about the in-home assessment.  She informed me that if I chose the in-home assessment then my appointment would be pushed back until September. 


I was not expecting to hear that, so I took the appointment.  I must admit I didn't have any expectations. All I knew was that the assessment process had changed and now those individuals who applied for MATAplus must pass a two part assessment in order to become eligible to ride MATAplus. 


I was late, because I had entered the wrong address and ended up at the Domino's pizza across the street. I was a little disappointed that I had to pay for my ride there.  I remember when the assessment center first opened they were giving applicants free rides to and from their assessment appointments.  


Here are a few tips for your next assessment:


  • Be On Time if you are running late the assistant will give you a call as a reminder of your appointment.  If you are more than 15 minutes late you are at risk of having your appointment canceled.

  • Make sure that the application is Complete. The receptionist will assist with filling in minor details.  However, it makes the process more efficient if you come in with the application done as stated on the forms.

  • Be honest during the physical assessment, don't try to sugarcoat your abilities when you are faced with climbing and walking down the stairs.  This is an essential function of being able to ride MATApus safely and independently.  Also during the interview please do not be afraid to disclose whether or not you will need a personal care attendant to accompany you on trips.


I was taken back into the office for the second and final part of the assessment.  I was asked to update my address and I also informed them that I also used a power chair.  My identification card was made on the spot. I was asked if I wanted to take a new photo or keep the one that was already on file.  The MATAplus assessment coordinator also told me what the fare was as well.  


Overall, it was a pleasant experience and yes it could be more comprehensive, but in my opinion it is much better than just answering questions over the phone about my disability. The MATAplus assessment center in person appointments  are  only done on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  If you have any questions about the process please contact the MATAplus assessment center at 901-722-7100 and follow the directions.


No comments:

Post a Comment