Monday, January 22, 2018

The Big Freeze 2018

Ice isolation in Memphis and how to dine when you cannot get out

By Timothy Redd
Today I am back to work after being out over a week because of the big freeze. Time alone is good but being forced to stay in the house and not being able to get out because of an ice covered ramp gave me cabin fever. Isolation, frustration, agitation, boredom and anger are just a few things I felt.
Uncleared ramp

During the big freeze my heat went out twice, thankfully it was fixed almost immediately in both cases. I called my office several times about salting and clearing my ramp and the walkway. They took their precious time and a maintenance person finally showed up Friday afternoon with a shovel to clear the ice debris after I made a call to the corporate office.

It is imperative that one is prepared for inclement weather. I was not as prepared as I should have been because I really didn’t foresee being in the house over a week. I’m so glad that we live in an age where technology can solve many of the problems isolation can cause.

My issue was a need for food. Thanks to Uber Eats and Instacart I was able to eat well. I’m sure you have heard of Uber Eats, if not let me tell you about it. Uber Eats is a food delivery platform that makes getting great food from your favorite local restaurants as easy as requesting a ride. Uber Eats is an app that connects you with a broad range of local restaurants and food, so you can order from the full menus of your local favorites whenever you want and a driver delivers food piping hot to your door. There is a 5 dollar delivery fee added to the cost of food plus tax which was not bad at all in treacherous winter weather, it allowed me to eat well and stay safe and warm in my home.

While Uber Eats was great it’s quite costly eating out daily; for all practicality purposes I have to tell you about another app that I used. Instacart saves you a trip to the market. Instacart delivers groceries in as little as an hour by connecting you with personal shoppers in your area to shop and deliver groceries from your favorite stores. It allows you to shop from anywhere using your computer, iPhone or Android device.

You can even schedule to have your groceries delivered in as little as an hour, have them delivered later in the day or week, or choose a pickup time, or pick up your groceries at the store. I will be definitely using Instacart again because it’s super convenient and I would suggest you try it out, the first order delivery fee is waived.

No comments:

Post a Comment