Thursday, October 5, 2017

The fundamental power of advocacy

MCIL wants to work with you to develop your self-advocacy


By Timothy Redd
Here at MCIL we fundamentally believe in the power of advocacy and teach that the most effective type of advocacy is self-advocacy.  

Timothy Redd

When it comes to being a person with a disability, accessibility matters. Last month you may have read my blog piece about accessing SNAP benefits for people with disabilities. As a panelist I raised concerns about the barriers that exists for people with disabilities.  By speaking up I garnered the attention of Lisa Cowell, TN State director of SNAP. She contacted Yolanda Shegog-Wright the County Director of Human Services here in Shelby County to make her aware of the issues I raised.


Yesterday I got an email from Ms. Shegog-Wright stating:

“We are lowering the counter top at the Customer Service Booth to make it wheelchair accessible. I am happy to report that we are tentatively scheduled to have that process complete by 10/25/17, Jackson Ave and the Third Street locations.” 
I am not much of a public speaker and this was actually my first time being a part of any panel discussion. The take away in all of this for me is that there truly is power in advocacy and change can start with one voice and one person. 

It also underscores the importance of advocating for our needs and speaking up when we see things that are not right. We have to celebrate victories in the name of disability rights and be emblazoned to fight for our seat at the table. I am in the process of setting up a meeting with Ms. Shegog-Wright to discuss additional concerns.


If you are interested in advocating or becoming and advocate I would suggest the following tips:



  1. Be informed on the issues, and keep all documentation
  2. Speak Up when you have the chance
  3. Know who your targets are, these are the people who can give you want you want. They have the authority to say yes.
  4. Have supporters
  5. Be persistent
If you would like to learn more about effective advocacy we here at MCIL are always here to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment